Monday, October 28, 2013

Weekly Intentions #1

I have gotten distracted as of late, a bit chaotic and disorganized.  There was no distinct decision to adopt sloppy habits (that rarely happens).  There was just a gradual downward slope.  Some weeks I moved mountains and other weeks I accomplished astonishingly little, and pretty soon the latter became the norm.

There are times when we need to step back and relax, not worry about busyness and schedules and lists.  However, I need balance.  Too much of something tends to make me lazy and unfulfilled.  It's like I'm eating endless dessert with no control--lots of sugar provides a temporary meal of sorts--but then I feel sick and eventually crash.

As I'm getting myself back on track, I've started taking the Brene Brown course, The Gifts of Imperfection, an online course offered through the Oprah Network and website. The discussion on setting intentions has been a wake-up call for me given my recent "sugar high" of no discipline.

I've learned over the years that my personality absolutely thrives with lots of activity and expectations. I rise to challenges and become energized.  I am fulfilled when my ego is stroked with achievements.  I admit it...I know it's not supposed to be that way, but I enjoy earning and receiving my "gold stars" in life.  When I'm not in this type of setting, I have to work much harder to create my own challenges for fulfillment.  Staying at home with one child who has unique needs has presented me with this opportunity.  There is no one to award me praise for my parenting, no great glory in potty training (especially when it appears I'm not particularly gifted with potty training motivation!), there is no hum of collaboration with a team of colleagues brainstorming a project and no great inspiration in housekeeping.

Setting intentions has become crucial for me to create purpose and meaning when I feel discouraged and wonder if my choices are right.  Brene says it better than I can,

Setting intentions helps you get clear on why you're doing something (clarity), why it's important to you (meaning) and how it moves you closer to your values (purpose).

Sometimes when I get a bit lost in the muddle of preschool, therapy, potty training, cleaning, etc., it's good for me to be clear on why I've made the choices I've made.  It helps me get the most out of each day and enjoy the life I've been given.  I'm reminded that I'm responsible for my choices.  The exercise develops more integrity in me, doing unseen tasks well because I'm being the best person God created me to be and not doing them for an audience to recognize me.  Setting intentions calls me to be present, rather than wishing for another time and place.  At the same time, setting intentions can sharpen focus to clarify goals for my present and future.  

Some intentions for this week...
  • Be on time.  No excuses.
  • Finish the mundane tasks without procrastinating.  No excuses.
  • Find something to be grateful for every day and write it in my journal.
  • Work on Paleo diet changes.
  • Practice being present in each moment, staying centered on myself and God's truth for me rather than wondering what other people may or may not be thinking about me.

Linking here...

lowercase letters

No comments:

Post a Comment